Thursday 27 August 2015

THROW BACK THURSDAY : NURSERY RHYMES



Hey guys, throw back Thursday is a post that takes us back to the old days or say, the days we love to remember. In other words, memories we would not trade for gold and silver.
Oh God! I so much enjoyed going to school with enough food (I love food) and the only thing that was taught was nursery rhymes. Aunty would sing and we would sing after her. We also dance to the songs, shaking different parts of our bodies. After singing, she would ask us to take out our food flasks (this was always the best part of being in school for me, don’t know about you), say our food prayers (some have food but cannot eat. Some can eat but have no food. We have food and we can eat, glory be to thee oh Lord, amen. Bless this food oh Lord for Christ’s sake Amen. Lol)
Ah, school was wonderful then. It didn’t matter so much if you came 1st or last, just leave the house, go to school, sing and dance and return home with smiles on your face. That mattered.
I attended Michael Omonogun Memorial Nusery and Primary School (MOMS for short), in Lokoja Kogi State and the following nursery rhymes are blasts from my past. Feel free to add yours and also let us know the name of the primary school you attended.
Guys pardon me if I don’t get the songs so well, you know say those days, as aunty dey sing her own, we dey busy dey sing our own version of her song, toh. So do not crucify me if I don’t get them so well, just sing along and have fun.

1 .MISSISSIPPI
MIIIIII – SSISSI –PIIII (2X)
M –I – double S –I – double S – I – double P – I
MISSISSIPPI.

2. WHEREVER YOU GO
Wherever you go, wherever you’ll be
Do not say yes, when you are to say no (baba ijebu).

3. SOME RIVERS IN AFRICA
Some rivers in Africa (2X)
Nile, Niger, Benue, Congo, Orangi, Limpopo, Zambezi. (Not sure if I got the names of the rivers well, but that was how I sang it back in the days. Funny).

4. A LION
A lion, a lion has a tail, he has a big head and a very small waist (quite short but very interesting).

5. HIPPOPOTAMUS
H-I-P for the HIP for the HIPPOPO, P-O-P-O for the HIPPOPO and T-A-M-U-S for the HIPPOPOTAMUS. HIPPOPOTAMUS.

6. OLD ROGER
Aunty: Old Roger is dead and gone to his grave
Pupils: hmm, ahh, gone to his grave
Aunty: they planted an apple tree over his had
Pupils: hmm, ahh, over his head
Aunty: the apple grew ripe and ready to fall
Pupils: hmm, ahh, ready to fall
Aunty: there came an old woman to pick them all up
Pupils: hmm, ahh, pick them all up
Aunty: Old Roger stood up and gave her a knock
Pupils: hmm, ahh, gave her a knock.

7. MY GRANDFATHER’S CLOCK
My grandfather’s clock was as old as his shelf so it stood 90years on the floor
It was taller by half than the old man himself …
It was bought on the day that the old man…
But it stopped, short, never to move again, when the old man died.

8. WE GO WE GO
 Monday we go to school
Tuesday we go to school
Wednesday we go to school
Thursday we go to school
Friday (this is usually pronounced with a shout) we pack away because tomorrow is Saturday
We gooo we go we go.

9. Solomon Grundy
Solomon Grundy, born on Monday
Christened on Tuesday
Married on Wednesday
Took ill on Thursday
Worse on Friday
Died on Saturday
Buried on Sunday.
That is the end of Solomon Grundy.

10. THREE LITTLE BLACK BIRDS
There were three little black birds sitting on the wall.
One named Peter, one named Paul
Fly away Peter, fly away Paul
Come back peter, come back Paul
Come back little birds and sit on the wall.

I also remember two very wonderful Christian rhymes.

11. JESUS LOVES ME
Jesus loves me yes I know
For the bible tells me so
Little ones to Him they go
They are weak but he is strong
Yes Jesus loves me (3x)
The bible tells me so.

12. FATHER ABRAHAM
Father Abraham has many sons
Many sons has Father Abraham
I am one of them and so are you
So lets us praise the Lord. RIGT HAND (at this point, you keep your right hand up, till the end of the song)
Father Abraham has many sons
Many sons has Father Abraham
I am one of them and so are you
So let us praise the Lord. LEFT LEG (at this point, you keep matching your left leg on floor continuously, till the end of the song)
Father Abraham has many sons
Many sons has Father Abraham
I am one of them and so are you
So let us praise the Lord. RIGHT LEG, LEFT HAND
Father Abraham has many sons
Many sons has Father Abraham
I am one of them and so are you
So let us praise the Lord. RIGHT HAND LEFT LEG, RIGHT LEG, LEFT HAND, TURN AROUND, SIT DOWN.

There they are guys, a few of my favorite nursery rhymes. I hope I get to hear yours. Do leave a comment and tell me which song was your best. If I did not put up your best, you can do us a favor by writing it out for us to enjoy.
Thanks and have a lovely Thursday. Do not do anything you would regret.

Written by Jonah Sandra


No comments: